Sunday, March 1, 2009

AN 'LA' PARTY

This past weekend, I attended a 25th birthday party in LA. I have to say, this was my best friend’s birthday, but I had no desire to go. I work full time and go to school full time, and the thought of taking work off to drive to LA to attend a party made me cringe.
I am good at socializing, but when you put me in a room filled with people that I don’t know, along with being in a town I don’t belong in, I get a little nervous. I was in a room of people that were all in show business; have amazing apartments/houses, drive great cars and travel all over the world. I thought I was going feel embarrassed when that question, “what do you do?” came up, but I held my head high and answered honestly.

I was shocked when people said “wow!” They could not believe the life that I live. The next question was, “how did you find the time to come down here?” I just laughed and said I didn’t have time. This truly was a moment though for me where I was reminded that there is more to life than school and work. I have made this realization a few times especially this quarter, but this weekend was one of those moments that I did not realize how busy I was and how much I do until multiple people pointed it out.

Let me get back on topic…this party. Everything was thought out clearly and efficiently. I guess that is one of the reasons why I am such good friends with this girl as both of us joke that we have a minor case of OCD. The food was lined up perfectly, the lighting was dim and festive, the open bar had top shelf alcohol, and everyone looked great.

The nervous look in Alanna’s (the birthday girl) face made me laugh as she reminded me of a 10-year-old turning 11, worried that no one is going to come to her party. But as time passed the party grew larger and everyone was having a good time.

The best part about this night was observing the dynamics of LA. As I have mentioned, I do not like LA, mainly because of the traffic, but I am not all that fond of the people either. For record, I know that not all LA residents are the same. I know that not all of them are materialistic and care about the car, or the clothes, or the job. It is a generalization and I have met more of those people than the others. Alanna’s friend Greg had mentioned:

“The problem with people who do not live in LA is that they refer to it as a scene,”

That was an interesting a very true observation especially since I had said, “LA is not my scene,” earlier in the night.

I silently laughed at the women at this party. All come off confident but all are extremely self-conscious. Alanna had warned me about this prior to the party, that I may not be liked, because I am unfamiliar. She was right! I got horrible looks from the women, I was being judged with their eyes and their lack of conversation with me as I tried to make it.

This party though did remind me of the importance of networking. I met some amazing people who had great career advice. I spoke with people about my future career and all of them felt that I was exactly where I need to be.

I went to this event with an opinion and I was glad that part of it was wrong. My perception of the females who are absorbed in LA has not changed, but there are wonderful people who reside there and the party was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, I had a great time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you ended up having a great time- not all LA girls are the same! I totally know what you mean though. i am from just north of LA- close enough to be there all the time, but still removed enough to not be jaded and I can definitely see what you mean about the superficiality.
    It doesn't matter where you are though, rude, insecure people are never fun to be around; I'm glad you didn't let them bring you down and you still enjoyed yourself.
    With regards to that guys quote- LA is a scene- and the people who live in LA are the ones that know that the most. He was merely trying to hide the fact that he's just as much an actor in it as everyone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin's last comment on the "guest as just another actor" is astute and amusing.I too am glad that you ended up enjoying yourself. This post hit a little close to home. I grew up in L.A., left it and never returned - at least to live. I visit often. And I'm continually amused at the never-dying stereotypes of the L.A. "scene." Yet it never stops millions of people from descending on it, doesn't deter industry and business from settling there. L.A., for all its millions and wart, remains a world capital, and a thriving one. I haven't lived in L.A. for over 20 years, and each time I go back, I explore beyond the beach and Hollywood scene I grew up around, and I learn something different about it with each visit (incomparable restaurants and quirky museums, and still a one-of-a-kind music scene). In that respect, as a tourist, I don't treat it differently than any other place I visit.

    ReplyDelete